Yamaha CA50 & CV80 Riders Forum Forum Index Yamaha CA50 & CV80 Riders Forum
Chat about the Yamaha CA50 (Salient, Riva 50) and CV80 (Beluga, Riva 80).

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How To: Install Homemade Internal Rear Blinkers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Yamaha CA50 & CV80 Riders Forum Forum Index -> How-To Guides
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DandyDan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: How To: Install Homemade Internal Rear Blinkers Reply with quote

When the Beluga/CV80/Riva 80 was originally introduced in Japan it came stock with rear blinkers integrated into the butt end of the scooter. Perhaps to meet more stringent DOT regulations, Yamaha opted to paint over the rear taillight/blinkers and instead hang an external taillight and blinkers off an extended rear rack on the models they sold in North America. Europeans got a mix of the two models with the original taillight still intact except the blinker sockets were removed and external blinkers were fitted.

I don't know why I'm so captivated with constantly improving my CV80 but I am, and part of that is a desire to retrofit these much nicer original parts onto my CV80. As previously posted, I managed to acquire the integrated taillight from a european CV80 and I installed that in place of the ugly taillight Yamaha tossed on for North America. You can read about that here:
http://cv80.phpbbweb.com/viewtopic.php?t=47

With that tailight, all that was left to do in order to get internal blinkers was to whip up some mutant blinker sockets that would fit inside, thus allowing me to ditch the external blinkers. For those of you without a European or Japanese taillight, it appears that you could simply sand the paint off your taillight and then repaint it with some sort of an opaque red (Update: No you can't!). Before you start this mod, you need to get the butt end of your scooter looking like this (which you can learn about at the above link):

With that accomplished, you are ready to begin this relatively easy mod of modifying your stock rear blinkers to fit inside the taillight. The first step in this mod is to remove your rear taillight. To do that, remove the side panels and then the 2 bolts holding the grey trim under the taillight and then finally, the 2 bolts holding the taillight on. Now you should be looking at something like this:

Now remove one of your rear blinkers and take it completely apart so it looks like this:

Now you simply yank one of those nicely fitting rubber plugs out of the taillight and cut a hole in it so that the blinker socket snugly fits inside like this:

Next, you need to bend in those tabs so you can fit this inside the taillight:

Now you're ready to toss this in the taillight. If you've done this well, it should be a very snug fit that has no chance of going anywhere:

Then simply repeat this procedure with the other blinker and your ready to bolt the taillight back on. Bolt the taillight back on and your scooter will look like this (pretty much the same but without the clumsy stock rear blinkers):

And you're done! Enjoy the clean look of your scooter now! All that's left now to complete the Japanese parts retrofitting is to somehow find the integrated front blinkers and the nice glovebox and install those. So far the glove box has eluded me but I have managed to order some new Japanese front blinkers which should be here any day.

Here is the finished look with the original taillight mounting bracket removed. In real life, it seems like the scooter lost about 6" of length off the butt. When you see it in real life it just looks better proportioned.

Last edited by DandyDan on Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:06 pm; edited 4 times in total
DandyDan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are before and after pictures of this entire rear end process (taillight and blinkers):

While I was doing this mod one of my blinkers broke as the ground wire came unattached from the bottom of the blinker. It seems like it was barely soldered on there to begin with. If you're reading this RoadCapDen, that's likely the problem with that bum blinker I traded to you.

Last edited by DandyDan on Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
roadcapDen
Beluga Legend

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Looking good Dan!
If you screw up the rear rack taking those extra brackets off, don't worry as I have a spare!

http://www.freewebs.com/roadcapden/cv80beluga.htm
DandyDan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I took the brakelight tab off last night and it looks quite a bit cleaner now Very Happy

I think I'm going to leave the blinker tabs because:

- they're not as ugly as the brakelight tab
- this way I can go back if the blinkers don't work out
- the tabs will be handy to hook bungie cords to
john
Beluga Legend

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much cleaner lines. You could have used standard 1156 lite sockets spliced in if you had wanted to save original mounting lite hardware. Would be interesting to see how hard it would be to clean off the original back nose piece. Thought about using 1156 LED bulbs. Princess Auto had them on a 2.88 last week in amber or red.
roadcapDen
Beluga Legend

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite sure what John means here "clean off the original back nose piece"
But, on mine the plastic covering the light spaces on the original is opaque not clear. Could prolly cut it out and replace with clear thou'.

http://www.freewebs.com/roadcapden/cv80beluga.htm
john
Beluga Legend

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought it might be just a painted over reflector lens. My bad thinking Yamaha would give you that piece so easily to convert.
DandyDan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The possibility of scraping off the paint from the stock 'butt panel' and using that was my suggestion (top of this thread). After reading your comment RoadCapDen that it's not clear but opaque, I had another look and it seems you are right. It's hard to see inside there but it does look like Yamaha used sort of an opaque cream coloured plastic so sanding off the red paint would be a dead end. My bad for assuming this was possible....I guess you need to start with the Euro or Japanese taillight (or cut out the stock opaque plastic and toss in a clear piece as RoadCapDen suggested).

Anyways, here is the finished result now that I have removed the cumbersome brakelight bracket...I'm very pleased:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Yamaha CA50 & CV80 Riders Forum Forum Index -> How-To Guides All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: